Frequently Asked Questions

Security Operations

Who can work as security guard?
There are some requirements regarding working as a security guard. Generally speaking, the following rules apply when you try to apply for your security licence:
  • You have to be at least 18 years old
  • You must not pose a risk to public safety
  • You must pass the required training course
  • There are also restrictions regarding past convictions and they vary from state to state.
Do I have to have a qualification to work as a security guard?
Yes. In order to work as a security guard, you will need to apply for a security licence and completing the relevant training course is a prerequisite for getting a licence. Most likely, you will need to complete the Certificate II in Security Operations. The units you need to study depend on each state’s requirements. Please contact us for details.
How can I get a security licence?
In order to apply to get a security licence, you need to visit the relevant authority’s website and check whether you have satisfied the specified requirements. If you believe you satisfy all the requirements, you need to lodge your application together with your supporting documents to the relevant licencing body. For general information regarding security licences, please visit the website of Australian Security Industry Association Limited: Click here For the different licencing body in each state and territory, please visit their website to see details.
What kind of security licences are out there?
Based on the job you will be doing, there different kinds of security licences in each state. For instance, unarmed guards and armed guards will have different licencing requirements. For different licencing categories in each state, please visit the website of Australian Security Industry Association Limited: Click here
Do security licences expire?
Yes, security licences do expire. A security licence can be valid for 1 to 5 years but that is different for each licence and it varies from state to state. Also, you need to make sure that your First Aid certificate is valid because it is a core requirement to keep your licence valid. In addition, you always need to renew your licence before the expiry date.
What qualification is suitable for my needs?
What certificate level is suitable for you depends on your experience. If you want to start a career in the security industry, you need to get your security licence by completing a Certificate II in Security Operations. If you have already got your security licence and want to develop further skills so you can work independently (without supervision) and hope to get into a leader or supervisor role, then a Certificate III in Security Operations is suitable. For people with abundant experience in the security industry and want to move into positions related to managing risk, a Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management or a Diploma of Security and Risk Management is a good option.
What is the provisional security licence in Tasmania?
The provisional licence allows you to work in the security industry for up to 12 months. In this period, you will need to complete your training to get the full licence as after 12 months, your provisional licence will expire. In order to apply for the provisional licence, you will need to complete 7 units of study which will be regarded as a partial completion of the Certificate II in Security Operations. Getting a provisional licence is beneficial if you want to get started in the security industry pretty quickly. For details about the units required, Click here to visit.
What is a security licence course?
A security licence course allows you to satisfy the training requirements specified by different licencing authorities in each state. In order to get a security licence, most likely, you need to complete the Certificate II in Security Operations. Because of the different requirements in each state, the units of study will vary.
What if I relocate pretty often? What is the best option for me?
Due to the fact that each state has their own licencing bodies, you will probably complete some coursework that satisfies the requirements in all the states that you are likely to reside in. However, in some cases, some states do recognise licences issued by the licencing bodies in other states. Please contact us if this situation applies to you.

Cleaning Operations

Who can work as a cleaner?
At the legislation level, the licencing requirements is not as strict as in the security industry. However, to be able to work as a cleaner, apart from relevant knowledge and skills, a person needs to enjoy practical work, be methodical and be able to bend, stand and lift.
Must I have a qualification to work as a cleaner?
There are no formal requirements regarding your education and training background. But without any training background, the potential employer will have to provide you some training as working as a cleaner involves handling chemicals which requires knowledge and experience and it is not a job that anybody can do. Therefore, having a certificate in Cleaning Operations will certainly help you stand out when you apply for jobs.
What are the differences between different levels of certificates?
Certificate II in Cleaning Operations is designed for those who have no or little prior experience in the cleaning industry and want to gain some practical cleaning skills and knowledge. Certificate III in Cleaning Operations is aimed at providing experienced cleaners more skills and knowledge in order to help them proceed to a manager or supervisor role. Certificate IV in Cleaning Management is a combination of cleaning, business and management units. Therefore, it is suitable for supervisors or potential supervisors to learn to plan, organise and arrange cleaning tasks from a management’s perspective.

Business / Management

Who should pursuit a qualification in business / management?
A qualification in business/management does not necessarily mean that it is meant for people working in an office environment. As long as your job involves dealing with customers, prioritising tasks, or frequent communication with others, then a qualification in business/management is going to be beneficial as it does not only equip you with business/management skills, it also addresses how you can complete your work more efficiently.
What certificate level is suitable for me?
This depends on your individual needs as there are no prerequisite for each level. For the Level II certificate, you will learn basic business skills and knowledge like creating a simple document, using technologies to facilitate communication, etc. For the Level III certificate, you will encounter units related to spreadsheet, organising information, prioritising tasks, etc. For Level IV, units offered are more complex and are related to implementing service standards, undertaking project work, analysing and presenting information, organising meetings, etc. If you have extensive experience when it comes to management and want to be well prepared for positions like executive officer, program consultant, manager, or program coordinator. You may consider completing the Diploma of Business or Diploma of Leadership and Management. Talk to us and we will help you find the best certificate to study.

Warehousing / Logistics

What is logistics?
Logistics is the management of the flow of things from production site to customers. Examples include Post offices handling mails and parcels, supermarkets handling the transit of goods and products, etc. Learning about logistics will help you organise the import and export of goods in the most efficient way that is going to reduce costs.
What is warehousing?
Warehousing is closely related to logistics as they both aim at reducing the costs associated with the period from when the product is produced to when the product is sold. The most common example will be supermarkets’ storage areas. You must have seen those frozen storage areas in the supermarkets where they store all the meat products before putting them on the shelves. Learning about warehousing operations enables you to know more about organising goods, displaying goods on the shelves, using a forklift, etc.
What kind of jobs are there when it comes to warehousing and logistics?
Typical jobs include forklift operator, HC/MC driver, freight sorter, LO drivers, supply chain officer, warehouse manager, etc.

Training and Assessment

Who needs to finish this qualification?
Anyone who delivers training and assessment services in the vocational education and training sector needs to complete TAE40110. According to ASQA, from 1st January 2016, trainers and assessors must hold the TAE40110 or its successor.
I have been training for years, but I don’t have a TAE qualification, does that matter?
Yes. According to ASQA, from 1st January 2016, trainers and assessors must hold the TAE40110 or its successor.
I have completed a degree in the field that I am training. Do I still need to complete the TAE?
Yes. According to ASQA, from 1st January 2016, trainers and assessors must hold the TAE40110 or its successor.